Reality Development Lab: Imperialism is good - Reality Development Lab

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Imperialism is good

#1 User is offline   chariotfire 

• Group: Members

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:51 PM

I've been kicking around an idea in my head for some time now and I'd be interested in hearing what others thought of it. I think that imperialism may be a good thing. I'm thinking about Roman and Western European imperialism primarily. But I think that it is easy to see that even if the intentions of the empire aren't pure at the time of acquisition once a barbaric culture has been brought into the fold as it were prosperity and freedom ensue. Just a thought.

My 2

#2 Guest_Truth Warrior_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:00 PM

chariotfire --

Replacing one barbaric culture with another barbaric culture is still just friggin barbarism. You can call a duck a turtle. But it is still just a duck. :lol: Would you consider slavery barbaric?

Thanks!

HAGO!

CYL

#3 User is offline   RareBear 

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:01 PM

"Imperialism" is bad policy in this globalized world of organic business ecosystems. No one is at liberty to go conquer anyone else and seize their assets. Governments are less and less relevant and business is less and less loyal to tradtional power centers. With a little vision and some willingness to get real about all that, we could be in a period where we could be "beating swords into plowshares". But some interests are so entrenched in wartime economies and defense industies that they have gone so far at to declare "wars" on things rather than nations--things like "terror". WTF is "terror"? And who are the enemy? It's a made up war whose original catalyst is suspect.

#4 User is offline   chariotfire 

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:05 PM

View PostRareBear, on Mar 1 2007, 02:01 PM, said:

"Imperialism" is bad policy in this globalized world of organic business ecosystems. No one is at liberty to go conquer anyone else and seize their assets. Governments are less and less relevant and business is less and less loyal to tradtional power centers.

I don't know. The scary corporation doesn't frighten me as much as it used to. When I was a liberal I used to harp on and on about the evilness of the corporation but I really am not seeing it as I get older. This is not to suggest that no corporation does any evil. Only that most corporations do good. Of course I am against bad corporations doing bad things but I've stopped turning that sentiment into "all corporations are evil."

The corporation (along with contemporary government) has very direct accountability to the people. If the people are not relatively wealthy then they will not be able to purchase the products sold by the corporation. Also: hundreds of years of history has borne out evidence that individuals working for the sake of their enlightened self-interest has led to human freedom, equality of classes, and material prosperity. The corporation is just another manifestation of this spirit in action.

And I'm not claiming that the means associated with all of imperialism are good. Only that the outcome tends toward the betterment of the "conquered" people in the long run. Doesn't that end up being true?

With a little vision and some willingness to get real about all that, we could be in a period where we could be "beating swords into plowshares". But some interests are so entrenched in wartime economies and defense industies that they have gone so far at to declare "wars" on things rather than nations--things like "terror". WTF is "terror"? And who are the enemy? It's a made up war whose original catalyst is suspect.

Perhaps you are right. I wonder if the "war on terror" was just an excuse for the US to play a stronger role in the middle east. I wonder if that might cause the middle east to eventually democratize? I wonder if that is a bad thing in the long run.

I wonder.

My 2

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users